- Place the broth in a medium saucepan and bring to a low simmer. Keep warm.
- Over medium heat, drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet.
- Saute the onions, carrot and celery for about 5-7 minutes until translucent. Stir frequently.
- Add the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the rice.
- Keep stirring (frequently) for about 4-5 minutes. The edges of the rice should begin to turn translucent and just beginning to turn a light golden brown.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the wine (or broth) and stir constantly until absorbed. This should take about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped spinach. Stir to mix well with the rice mixture.
- Stir in ½ cup of hot broth into the rice mixture.
- Stir frequently until the broth is absorbed.
- Keep adding the broth (½ cup at a time) and stirring until it is absorbed. Repeat.
- At the end of 16-20 minutes, start tasting your risotto. The texture should be al dente but still creamy.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter and the cheese. The addition of the lemon juice is optional.
- Garnish with zested lemon peel (if using) and chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately with additional Parmesan (if desired).