Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Crema
This easy shrimp taco recipe is everything you've ever wanted in a taco. Spicy marinated shrimp cooked to tender perfection. Topped with a homemade avocado crema recipe and delicious slaw… are you drooling yet?
- In a small bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients: 3 tbsp avocado oil, lime juice, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, garlic, red pepper flakes, and kosher salt. Add in prepped shrimp, stir to coat all the shrimp with marinade. Place in refrigerator and marinate for max 30 minutes.
- While the shrimp is marinating, in a food processor add the avocado crema ingredients: avocado, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice, yogurt, olive oil, water and kosher salt. Pulse until all the ingredients are smooth. If the consistency is too thick, add another tbsp of water. Set aside.
- Using a mandoline or knife, shred the cabbages. Place in a small bowl, add a few spoons of the avocado crema and toss to combine. Save the rest of the crema to drizzle over the tacos at the end.
- You can either cook the shrimp in a cast iron skillet or grill them. Over medium/high heat place the shrimp into the skillet. Ensure they are all laid flat into the pan and not on top of each other, this will allow for even cooking. Depending on the size of the shrimp, they will cook in about 4-6 minutes. Flip halfway through to get a nice char/color on each side. If grilling, skewer them so they do not fall through the grates.
- Assemble the tacos: Place the tortilla down, add a few spoons of the cabbage slaw, add a few shrimp, drizzle avocado crema over the top, garnish with fresh cilantro, serve with lime wedges!