Spiced Persimmon Olive Oil Cake
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Generously butter a minimum 10-cup capacity bundt pan, then add 2 tablespoons flour to the pan and coat the entire interior with the flour, tapping out the excess.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients (not the sugar, though) and set them aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high until they are thickened, about 5 minutes (the mixture will fall from the beater in a narrow ribbon).
- Scrape the mixture off the beater and into the mixing bowl, then switch to the whisk attachment. With the mixer on medium speed, add the olive oil in a slow stream to incorporate it into the egg and sugar mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla and ginger and whisk for a few seconds more.
- Add in the dry ingredients, and mix on low just to combine. Raise the speed to medium and continue to mix for another 30 seconds. Fold in the persimmons and nuts to distribute them evenly.
- Pour the batter into the pan, and smooth out the top. Bake on the center rack for 45-50 minutes, rotating the pan about 20 minutes into baking. The cake is done when the cake tests clean in the deepest part of the pan.
- Cool the cake for about 10 minutes then invert it onto a wire rack to finish cooling. To dress the cake up a bit for dessert, put the powdered sugar in a fine sieve and, tapping the rim of the sieve, dust the sugar over the cake. Slice and serve.