Sheet-Pan Chicken With Sweet Potatoes and Fennel
This easy, sheet-pan dinner sings thanks to its zingy vinaigrette of sharp pecorino, warming cracked pepper and bright lemon — which you’ll want to slather on everything. These flavors really get a chance to shine drizzled on top of roast chicken and seasonal vegetables. Don’t be afraid to substitute the sweet potatoes and fennel with whatever vegetables you have on hand. Serve the dish with a handful of leafy greens and a generous amount of the vinaigrette.
- Step 1 Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, toss chicken with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and arrange on a large rimmed baking sheet, skin-side up.
- Step 2 In the same bowl, toss potatoes and fennel with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and arrange in an even layer around the chicken.
- Step 3 Roast until chicken and potatoes are a deep golden brown and fennel is starting to caramelize at the edges, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Step 4 As chicken cooks, combine vinegar, lemon zest and juice, mustard, garlic and 1½ teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in remaining ¼ cup olive oil in a thin stream and stir in pecorino. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 5 Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to rest. Toss the fennel fronds and parsley with the roasted vegetables.
- Step 6 To serve, cut the chicken off the bone and slice. Divide chicken and vegetables among plates. Serve with a handful of leafy greens if you like, and spoon the pecorino vinaigrette over everything.