Roasted Carrots and Red Leaf Lettuce Salad with Buttermilk Herb Dressing
- For the carrots: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the green leaves from the carrot tops, then rinse, drain and set them aside to use for the dressing. Use a vegetable brush to clean the carrots (leave the peel on to give the carrots texture). Cut them on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
- In a small bowl, toss the carrots with the olive oil, honey, salt and pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast until tender and caramelized (I like mine to be on the borderline of starting to burn), about 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them; they burn easily! Let cool completely.
- For the dressing: While the carrots cool, make the dressing. Whisk the buttermilk, yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in a bowl until emulsified. Stir in the chives, tarragon, dill, carrot leaves and oregano.
- For the salad: In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce, pistachios, cherries, cheese and carrots with the dressing. Serve immediately.