Roasted Black Futsu Pumpkin with Salsa Verde and Lentils
No need to peel the Black Futsu Pumpkin before roasting. Enjoy it's nutty flavor with warm lentils and Botanica's caper salsa verde. Save this one as a vegetarian side dish for the holidays, or as a special lunch just for you.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and dry the black futsu squash and chop in half. Discard the stem. Remove the seeds if you like and chop into 1/4 inch slices. No need to peel, the skin is edible.
- Roast the black futsu squash with a glug of olive oil and a pinch of salt for about 20-25 minutes until soft and slightly brown.
- While the squash is roasting cook the lentils.
- Combine lentils and water and cook over medium heat until lentils have absorbed the water, around 20 minutes.
- Make the salsa verde. In a medium bowl combine the minced shallot, sherry vinegar and salt.
- Finely chop cilantro and parsley (tender stems are fine to include). Add to the bowl with the rest of the salsa verde ingredients.
- *Note: Salsa verde can be made up to 5 days ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
- Assemble the dish. Layer black lentils, roasted squash, salsa verde and crumbled feta cheese. Best served warm but also just fine room temp.