Crispy Summer Squash with Tomato Mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Set aside a cooling rack with paper towels lined over top of it. As well, set aside a baking sheet. Slice the squash and set aside.
- In a shallow wide bowl whisk together the eggs.
- In a second shallow bowl, mix together the Panko and shredded cheese, season with salt and pepper.
- Now set up your station with a large wide skillet on the burner. Both of your shallow bowls nearby. Your sliced squash. And the paper towel cooling rack.
- Warm your skillet over medium-high heat (you will want to adjust this as you are cooking, either up or down depending on how fast the squash are browning) with about 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil. The goal here is not for the squash to be submerged, but for them to be in a decent amount of oil to successfully crisp up the bottoms.
- Once your oil is heated, dip your first sliced squash into the egg, fully coat, pick it up, and shake off the extra. Now place it into the Panko and parmesan bowl, fully coat it by pressing the mixture onto the squash, really press it on there. Once it is fully coated place into the hot oil. And repeat. My skillet could fit 3 medium size slices, but if you have a larger skillet this would be great to use. It will simply make the process go faster.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side. You want them nice and golden, but not burned, so occasionally take your spatula and peak underneath. Once they are nice and golden crisp, transfer them to the paper towel lined cooling rack. Depending on how the skillet and oil looked, I might wipe out and start with fresh oil, or not. Repeat until you have crisped up all squash slices.
- Transfer the crispy squash onto the baking sheet. Top each squash with a large spoonful of tomato sauce. You don’t want to smother and cover the whole squash, leave an edge. Now add on a few chunks of the fresh mozzarella on top and place in the oven for about 8 minutes until the cheese is melted. If you want, you can turn on the broiler for the last few minutes to make it extra melted.
- Remove from the oven, serve with extra shredded parmesan, freshly ground pepper and fresh basil.