Baked Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
Baked Lasagna Stuffed Peppers - full of traditional hearty Italian flavors like ground beef sautéed with marinara, ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella cheese… all packed in sweet bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash peppers and dry. Cut off the tops and remove seeds/core, then carefully slice off just the very bottom of each pepper to create a flat surface. Don't cut off too much or the sauce will leak.
- Spray a 9X13 cooking dish with cooking spray then place the peppers upright in the dish.
- Cook the peppers, whole, for approximately 15 minutes. (This will result in al dente doneness. If you prefer your peppers to have a softer texture, cook 5-10 minutes longer.)
- While the peppers are cooking in the oven, bring olive oil to medium heat in a large saucepan. Saute chopped onions and olive oil for 3-5 minutes, then add garlic, and cook for another minute.
- Add ground beef, salt, and pepper, red pepper flakes (optional), then saute until cooked, about 5 more minutes. Add oregano, basil, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, and marinara sauce. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine ricotta, parmesan, nutmeg, and 3 tablespoons of the parsley.
- As soon as the peppers have cooked for 15 minutes, remove them from the oven and reduce oven temp to 375 degrees.
- Layer 2-3 tablespoons of the meat mixture into each pepper. Add the ricotta layer next, dividing it equally among all 6 peppers. Then add another layer of meat sauce.
- Cover the baking dish with tin foil and bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Remove foil and top each pepper with mozzarella. Bake uncovered 5-10 more minutes, until mozzarella is melted. Garnish with remaining chopped parsley and serve.