Apple Coffee or Dessert Cake
Serve with a warm cup of coffee or as a dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; about 3 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating after the addition of each.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, apple pie spice, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients, alternating with the sour cream. Stir in the vanilla and fold in the apples until evenly incorporated into the batter.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, apple pie spice, and butter, and combine with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the cake and bake until golden brown and set, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, apple pie spice, vanilla, and water and mix until smooth. Drizzle the cake with the glaze and let harden slightly. Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.