Roasted Delicata Squash with Maple Syrup and Thyme
The skin of this squash is entirely edible, though you may find it preferable to eat the tender insides. Figure about a half squash per person, although smaller appetites may do with a quarter of a squash.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash the squash. Use a large, sharp knife to slice off the stems. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and string. Discard. Set the squash cut-side-up on a baking sheet.
- Put a dab of butter in the center of each squash. Drizzle the maple syrup into the cavity of each one. Sprinkle salt and freshly ground black pepper over the flesh of the squash. Set a small sprig of thyme or sprinkle the dried thyme in each half.
- Bake until the squash is very tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. The time will vary depending on the size of the squash, but will range from 35 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.