Blood Orange Shrimp, Creamy Cheese Grits and Spinach
This recipe takes Shrimp and Grits to a new level with our 15-minute shrimp marinade with seasonal Blood Orange flavors!
For the Shrimp
Prepare the Shrimp
Prepare the Shrimp
- Peel and devein the shrimp but leave the tails on for presentation. Feel free to completely peel them if you wish. Set aside while you assemble the marinade and start the grits.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and whisk thoroughly to incorporate. You don’t need to make an emulsion, just get it mixed well. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the liquids to a slight boil. Add the grits and salt to the pot and stir thoroughly (you can whisk it here as well to make sure there are no lumps).
- Turn heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 30-45 minutes – the coarser your grits are the longer it will take to cook. Stir often to make sure the grits do not stick and burn to the bottom of the pan.
- When the grits are tender, stir in the cheese, butter and crème fraîche. You can add more if you want. Taste for additional pepper.
- Do a little time planning here so the shrimp are done right after the grits are done. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but you’d rather wait on the shrimp than the grits – they will stay hot.
- Marinate the shrimp for 15-20 minutes and remove from marinade and put on a plate.
- Heat a little oil in a skillet on medium high and, when hot, add shrimp. Cook 2-3 minutes per side until shrimp are pink and just starting to curl.
- Allow a large pan to heat over medium, then add the oil.
- Add garlic and let it cook for a minute until it begins to turn slight golden. Remove and set aside.
- Turn heat up to medium high and allow it to heat until it just begins to barely smoke. Add spinach and stir to cook evenly for no more than 30 seconds. The goal is to barely wilt the spinach. Remove to a place and toss with garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Put the grits on a plate or in a shallow bowl, add the spinach, then the shrimp on top and garnish with black pepper and chile oil if desired. You can also add a number of garnishes that work – like green onions, parsley, chives or anything you like. Enjoy!