Basil Pesto Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl or zip top bag. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pesto, olive oil, lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and allow to sit for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the grill on high.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the remaining marinade.
- Place the chicken on the grill skin side down and cook for 4-5 minutes. If the fat rendering from the chicken causes flare ups, turn the heat to low.
- When the skin is crisp, flip the chicken over and continue cooking for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low (if you have already done so) and close the lid.
- Continue to grill the chicken for an additional 4-5 minutes on each side or until the chicken registers 185˚F on an instant read thermometer when inserted into the thickest part of the thigh.)
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with chopped Basil, if desired.