Zucchini Chard Cakes
- We’re going to need to shred the zucchini. You can do this quite easily with a box grater, or if you’re intending to shred a large quantity, I’d opt for the food processor like I did here. If not using all of the zucchini at once, it does freeze nicely.
- Next, grate the onion. I prefer to grate the onion instead of chop it, as it will blend better into the pancakes.
- Remove the stems from the chard and save for another purpose. (Chopped and tossed into a stir fry, perhaps?) Then chop the leaves.
- Combine the egg, salt, and flour in a bowl. Add in the zucchini, chard, onion, garlic and parsley and stir to form a thick batter. Add just a splash of milk and the oil to form a more workable, pourable batter.
- Heat your skillet and lightly coat it with oil when hot. Preheat the oven to 200F. Pour 1/4 cup spoonfuls of batter onto the hot skillet and cook 2-3 minutes per side, until browned. Flip and cook another 2 minutes. Transfer the cakes to the oven to keep warm while you cook the remainder of the pancakes.
- Serve as a side, topped with tomato chutney, or as a light summer dinner with a side of greens.