Zesty Gluten-Free Citrus, Kale, and Quinoa Salad
- Make the dressing: Combine lemon juice, olive oil, and maple syrup in a small bowl or mason jar. Stir or shake well to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside or store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Cook the quinoa: Add quinoa and water to a medium size saucepan. Heat on high until boiling, then reduce heat to low and simmer until all the water has evaporated—about 15 minutes. Fluff cooked quinoa with a fork.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat a small to medium pan over medium heat. Add almonds and stir for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until light golden brown in color. Remove almonds from pan and allow to cool in a small bowl.
- Chop the onions, oranges, and kale and add them to a large salad bowl. Then add cooked quinoa, toasted almonds, and feta cheese. Stir all ingredients well.
- Add ⅓ cup of the dressing to the quinoa salad. Stir well to combine and add additional dressing to taste if desired. Serve immediately, or you can cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.