Stuffed Butternut Squash with Chicken and Kale
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Drizzle the squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange cut side up on the baking sheet and roast until almost tender, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Scoop out the flesh leaving a 1/4-1/2 inch border around the edge. Mash the squash.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken sausage and cook, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 9 minutes. Add the kale, in batches if necessary, tossing to wilt. Add garlic, parsley, red chili flakes and cook for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cool slightly. Remove to a bowl with the mashed squash. Add the breadcrumbs and mix to combine. Divide the stuffing between the four squash halves.
- Return to the oven to bake for another 15 minutes or until the filling is golden brown and warmed through. Remove, cut each side of the squash in half and serve. Reserve a stuffed squash half for future use.
- Tip: Add your favorite breadcrumbs, herbs and greens to the stuffing. Perfect as a side dish or a main course!