Strawberry Spoon Cake
This spoon cake is sort of a mix of a spoonbread, a pudding cake, and a biscuit all in one. It's then topped with delicious strawberries for an easy, home-style dessert. It's better to err on the side of under-baking this cake rather than over-baking, as it's meant to have a soft center. Serve it warm, with some vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- Combine strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Toss to combine and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Place butter into a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Place skillet into the oven and heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees). Allow the butter to melt as the oven preheats.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven; swirl to spread butter evenly. Pour remaining melted butter into the flour mixture. Set the skillet aside to cool slightly. Add buttermilk and vanilla to the flour and butter mixture. Stir just until no dry clumps of flour remain. Pour batter back into the skillet, and spread into an even layer. Spoon strawberries and their juices over the top.
- Place skillet back into the oven, and bake until center of the cake is just barely set, 32 to 37 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm.