Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken with Potatoes, Kale & Garlic Aioli
serves 4-8, 8 chcken thighs
- Preheat the oven to 500˚F (260˚C) . Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, kale, potatoes, garlic and half of the thyme. Add 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Toss well to coat. Transfer to the baking sheet and spread in an even layer.
- In the same bowl (no need to clean) add the chicken thighs, the remaining thyme, the paprika and lemon zest. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Arrange the chicken, skin side up, on top of the vegetables.
- Roast the chicken for 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate (it won’t be done yet) and gently stir the vegetables. Spread the veggies in an even layer and rearrange the chicken on top. Roast 10-15 minutes longer, or until the chicken juices run clear and the skin is golden brown. Let sit 5 minutes. Squeeze a wedge or two of fresh lemon juice over top.
- Transfer the chicken to plates and spoon the vegetables alongside. If you'd like, serve with garlic aioli for dipping (YUM!).
- You’ll need a large rimmed baking sheet pan for this recipe (they typically measure about 13x18 inches). They’re the workhorses of my kitchen and can be used for everything from roasting meats and veggies to baking cookies. If you don't have a pan big enough, use two pans instead.
- Lining the sheet pan with heavy duty aluminum foil not only prevents sticking, but it makes clean up a breeze.
- Feel free to swap out the chicken thighs for drumsticks.
- For a slightly smoky flavor, use smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.
- Put the lemon juice in a small bowl. Using a microplane, grate the garlic into the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, and let sit 5-10 minutes (this will allow the garlic to mellow a bit). Whisk in the mayonnaise. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.