Seared Salmon with Kale Quinotto and Warm Roasted Tomato Salad
Seared Salmon with Kale Quinotto and Warm Roasted Tomato Salad is a beautiful restaurant-style dish that's "better-for-you" all the way around. Perfect for a casual dinner for two yet elegant enough for guests!
- QUINOTTO: Place cashews in a bowl. Cover with hot tap water and soak at least 2 hours. Drain. Place cashews in a food processor or blender with 1 cup water. Puree until smooth, adding additional water as necessary. Thin with more water to desired consistency. Set aside 1/2 cup cashew cream and refrigerator or freeze the remainder for another use.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet or saute' pan over medium-high heat. Add the kale and cook 3 to 4 minutes, moving it around with tongs until wilted. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Transfer to a plate or bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in the same skillet or saute' pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook 15 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the quinoa and stir briefly. Add 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 12 to 15 minutes, adding additional chicken broth as necessary until quinoa is cooked through. Stir in kale and 1/2 cup reserved cashew cream. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Keep warm.
- TOMATO SALAD: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place sliced tomatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and black pepper. Roast for 20 minutes or until blistered. Transfer to a bowl along with all the accumulated juices. Add the garlic, balsamic vinegar and parsley. Cover to keep warm.
- SALMON: Heat oil in a nonstick skillet (or cast iron skillet) over medium-high heat. Season salmon with salt and black pepper. Place salmon in the skillet (top side down), reduce heat to medium and cook 5 to 6 minutes. Flip the salmon and cook 3 to 4 minutes on the other side. (If the fish is thick and you prefer it cooked all the way through, it may require some time in the oven. The salmon is cooked through when it easily flakes with a fork.)
- Spoon some kale quinotta onto plate, place seared salmon on top and garnish with warm tomato salad.