Roasted Corno di Toro Pepper and Red Lentil Soup with Zucchini Corn Relish
- Preheat the broiler and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cup the peppers into 3 inch wide strips, discarding membranes and seeds.
- Lay the pepper strips side by side with skin side up on the baking sheet.
- Broil the peppers until the skin is blistered and blackened.
- Immediately place the pepper strips in a ziploc bag and set aside.
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat, then cook the onions and carrots until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and chili pepper if using, and cook until very fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Carefully remove the blistered skin from the pepper strips and place the strips in the pot with the lentils.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the lentils and vegetables are very soft.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes and use a blender to blend the soup in batches until it is very smooth and creamy.
- Alternatively, use a hand immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and add lemon juice and season well with salt and pepper.
- Keep warm until needed.
- In a small bowl, toss the garnish ingredients together to mix.
- Serve the soup in individual bowls, with a scoop of the zucchini and corn garnish on top.