Roasted Chile Rellenos with Black Beans
- Preheat oven to 45oF
- Cut the tomatoes in half and arrange them on the sheet pan. Add the onions to sheet pan, along with the whole garlic cloves, halved jalapeños and whole poblano peppers, making sure they are not overcrowded. You may need to use two sheet pans. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in the oven and check after 15 minutes. If the peppers are tender remove them (pasilla peppers will cook much faster than poblanos- please see notes) and check the garlic. Otherwise continue roasting with the tomatoes and onions another 15-20 minutes, until peppers and onions are tender and tomatoes are juicy.
- In the meantime make the filling. Mix the beans ( drained, rinsed) with the cheese. If going vegan, mix the beans with 1 cup of vegan herbed tofu ricotta. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- When the poblanos are just tender, take the sheet pan out of the oven ( leave the oven on) and let it cool. Add ⅓ of the onions, chopping them up, into the filling mixture and stir.
- Blend up the Roasted Ranchos Sauce. Place the other half of the onions into a blender along with the tomatoes, pan juices, jalapeño, garlic, ½ cup stock, cumin, coriander, chili powder, oregano, salt, tomato paste and fresh cilantro – and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Cut a slit in the poblano peppers from stem to pointy end and using your fingers, gently remove seeds while rinsing them under cold running water. If the thin skins slip off, let them, but don’t worry about actively peeling them, especially poblanos – their skins are quite thin -Leaving some of the skin on is perfectly fine. Pasillo peppers have thick skin and should be peeled.
- In a large baking dish ( or oven proof skillet) pour a little of the roasted tomato ranchero sauce to coat the bottom ( use about half the sauce). Place the peppers overtop of the sauce, slit side up, then spoon the filling into each one. Pour the rest of the flavorful ranchero sauce over top. At this point you could add more shredded cheese to the top, or leave it off.
- Cover with foil and bake 20-25 minutes in a 425F oven- or until the filling is warm and melty, uncover and bake 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves, toasted pumpkin seeds and sour cream if you like.