Roasted Butternut Squash and Kale Salad
Roasted butternut squash and kale are tossed with dried cranberries, crispy prosciutto, shaved Parmesan and lemon vinaigrette in this hearty fall salad.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Toss the cubed squash with one tablespoon chives and and two tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast squash for 20-25 minutes, or until softened and slightly browned. Remove and let stand at room temperature.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and lay prosciutto slices on a parchment lined sheet tray, do not overlap.
- Roast until prosciutto begins to crisp, being careful not to burn, about 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool, then crumble into pieces and set aside.
- While squash is roasting, wash kale thoroughly and pat dry.
- Remove the stems from the center of the kale leaves. I fold the leaf in half and slice the stem away from the side.
- Stack three or four leaves at a time, roll from stem to tip and slice into ribbons and place in a large bowl.
- For the vinaigrette, combine the honey, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice and zest in a mini food processor or in a small bowl. If using the food processor, blend well, then add the olive oil and blend until emulsified. Otherwise whisk ingredients together, then add the oil in a steady stream while continuously whisking to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the kale well with enough vinaigrette to coat, a sprinkling of salt and let stand for at least 30 minutes or longer. Reserve the remaining vinaigrette.
- To serve, toss kale, squash, chives and cranberries. Top with shaved Parmesan (use a vegetable peeler to shave the wedge of cheese) and crispy prosciutto. Add more dressing if desired.