Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples, Caramelized
Onions and Pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, toss Brussels sprouts and apples with 3/4 teaspoon oil and a pinch of salt. Lay them evenly across the baking sheet, being careful not to overcrowd.
- Roast the sprouts and apples for 20 minutes, stopping once to flip. Don't flip the sprouts until they are nicely brown on one side. (Brussels sprouts can vary in size and cooking time. They are done when they can easily be pierced with a fork. If necessary, roast for 5 to 10 minutes more.)
- While the sprouts are roasting, put remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil in a non-stick skillet and bring to a medium high heat.
- Add onions to the skillet with a pinch of salt and don't move them for a couple of minutes until they start to brown.
- Once brown bits have started to appear on the onions, turn the heat to low and continue cooking the onions for 20 minutes, stirring them occasionally with a spatula, and allowing them to caramelize.
- In the last minute of cooking time on the onions, add maple syrup or agave syrup to the onions and combine.
- Move the onions to one side of the skillet, and add the pistachios. Allow them to brown for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Remove Brussels sprouts and apples from the oven and add them to the skillet. Evenly combine them with the caramelized onions and pistachios. Taste for salt, and add more if necessary. Serve immediately.