Potato Leek Soup with Bacon and Fresh Dill
- In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat reserved bacon fat over a medium flame until melted and sizzling.
- Add the thinly sliced leeks to the melted bacon fat and fry until they begin to soften and release their aroma – about five to six minutes or so.
- Add one quart fresh chicken broth to the leeks and dump in the cubed potatoes and cover the pot.
- Cook the potatoes, leeks and broth together over a medium-low flame until the potatoes are softened and tenderly fall apart when pressed with the tines of a fork – about thirty minutes.
- Remove the soup from the flame and allow it to cool slightly, then pour two cups fresh whole milk into the soup pot, stirring in the fresh dill as you go.
- Season with unrefined sea salt and white pepper as it suits you, then serve the soup with plenty of good quality pasture-raised bacon and a dollop of crème fraîche or sour cream.