Penne Pasta Bake with Broccoli and Cherry Tomatoes
For the pasta:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place broccoli florets and tomatoes in a baking dish. Toss with 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes burst and broccoli begins to brown, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly. Reduce oven temperature to 375.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente. Drain, rinse with cool water, and return to the pot.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and then garlic, dry mustard, and cayenne. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Whisk in milk and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until mixture just comes to a low boil and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, a little bit at a time.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta. Chop broccoli into small pieces. Stir broccoli and tomatoes into cheesy pasta. Pour into a baking dish that you've lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Stir together breadcrumbs and 1 tbsp. melted butter. Sprinkle over pasta. Bake, uncovered until top just begins to turn golden, about 15 minutes.