Pasta with Fennel, Kale and Lemon
serves 3-4 large servings
- Put a large pot of well-salted water on to boil.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes, or until the onions are beginning to soften.
- Turn up the heat to medium, add the sliced fennel, and saute gently for an additional 6-8 minutes or until the fennel is tender and slightly caramelized. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for another minute or two. Turn off the heat.
- When the fennel is almost cooked, add the pasta to the pan of boiling water and cook until al dente, adding the kale to the pasta pot about 2-3 minutes before the pasta is done cooking.
- Drain the pasta (reserving 1/2 cup of cooking water) and greens thoroughly and toss with the onion and fennel mixture in the pan–adding pasta water if necessary. Add the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
- Drizzle each serving with chile oil, fennel fronds, and lots of grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese.