One-Pan Chicken with Basil-Anchovy Butter & Shishito Peppers
Don't skip the anchovies in this healthy chicken thigh recipe. Their fishiness blends in, adding salty, umami flavor, so that even skeptics of the salty little fish won't protest. And this healthy skillet dinner is cooked in one pan and takes just 20 minutes to prep--in case you need more selling points for this recipe.
- Step 1 Make three slits on one side of each chicken thigh or breast; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, ground pepper and garlic powder.
- Step 2 Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165 degrees F, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Step 3 Meanwhile, combine butter, basil and anchovies in a small bowl.
- Step 4 Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and peppers to the pan. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, until starting to blacken in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Step 5 Top the chicken with the butter mixture and serve with the peppers and lemon wedges, if desired.