Olive Oil Strawberry Shortcake
- Place strawberries, orange zest and juice and 1/4 cup sugar into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook until strawberries are soft and broken down, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Pour eggs and 1 cup sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip until frothy and pale yellow. Slowly add olive oil, continuing to whip. Slowly add the flour mixture. Add milk and mix for 2 more minutes. Fold in the strawberry compote. Swirl the jelly in with a spatula, but don't overmix.
- Butter a 9-inch round cake pan. Transfer batter to the cake pan. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over the top. Bake on the middle rack until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then invert out of the pan to a rack to cool completely, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve cake sliced into wedges with whipped cream.