Kohlrabi and Carrot Slaw
- Gather the ingredients.
- Trim and peel the kohlrabi and the carrots. You can use a vegetable peeler on the carrots, but to properly peel kohlrabi, you'll have better luck with a paring knife: Trim the tops and bottoms of the kohlrabi and set the flat bottoms on a cutting surface; use a sharp paring knife to cut down from top to bottom, removing the thick, tough peel (with this method you'll easily be able to see where the tender white-ish inside ends and the green or purple peel begins, working around the vegetable until all the peel is removed). Set the peeled vegetables aside.
- In a salad bowl or large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, and salt until well blended. Add pepper, if you like.
- Using the large holes on a standing box grater or a mandoline set up for fine julienne, grate the kohlrabi and the carrots into the salad bowl.
- Toss everything together until the kohlrabi and carrot are evenly coated with the dressing. Taste and add more salt or pepper, if you'd like.
- Serve immediately or know that this salad holds up quite well to be made a few hours ahead of time and kept covered and chilled.