Green Bean Casserole with Crispy Fried Shallots
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until it registers 325 degrees F on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Working in batches, dredge shallots in flour, separating the rings and coating them thoroughly; shake off excess flour.
- Add shallots to the skillet, a handful at a time, and cook, stirring constantly, until evenly golden and crispy, about 2-4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, thyme and flour, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken stock, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Str in green beans, and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup white cheddar cheese and heavy cream until smooth, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with remaining 1 cup white cheddar cheese, Panko and shallots.
- Place into oven and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.