Grass-Fed Beef-Stuffed Scallopini Squash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with a little non stick cooking spray.
- For the Squash:
- Bring the beef broth to a boil in a sauce pan over high heat. Add quinoa, reduce heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Set aside and allow to cool. Now you are ready to prepare your squash for filling.
- Slice the very bottom tip off the squashes so they will lay flat in the baking dish.
- Now slice the tops off the squash and carefully scoop out most of the inner flesh, being careful not to break through the sides and bottom.
- Dice the scooped squash into small pieces and use 1/2 of the amount for your filling. Save remaining squash for another recipe or enjoy it raw with a little sea salt. NOTE: *If you do not want to use beef in this recipe then use all of the squash for the filling.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and squash in the olive oil for about 3-4 minutes until onions begin to soften. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Stir in spinach (if using fresh spinach or kale, cook until just wilted).
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cooked quinoa and cheese; season with salt and pepper.
- Fill squash, full to the top, with stuffing mixture. Place tops back onto each squash and drizzle with a little olive oil. Now they are ready for the oven.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 7-10 minutes more.
- Serve and enjoy!