Escarole and Beans
- Fill a large pot with water (to fit the escarole), and with the lid on, bring it to a boil.
- Add the escarole to the boiling water along with a pinch of salt, and with the lid off, boil escarole until tender. About 6-8 minutes.
- Just before the water for the escarole starts to boil, on medium heat, heat the olive oil in a large pan. Once olive oil is hot, add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add beans and liquid from the can of beans and cook beans until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Season the beans with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once escarole is cooked, drain it well in a colander.
- Add the escarole to the pan with the beans and garlic, and cook all ingredients together for about 5 minutes. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Plate, and finish with additional olive oil and chili flakes if desired.
- Cannellini beans or red kidney beans both work really well in this dish. It's a matter of personal preference; I like both and it just depends on what I have in my pantry!
- Don't skip out on the liquid from the canned beans. It adds so much flavor to the dish.
- The amount of escarole listed in the recipe (2 heads of escarole, or 16 cups!) may sound like a lot but once it's boiled, it will reduce greatly in size and volume.