Creamy Kale, Sausage, and Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Turn oven to HIGH broil.
- Cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the red bell pepper halves, skin side up, on the sheet.
- Press them down flat with the palm of your hand. Broil on high for several minutes until the top of the peppers are charred and black.
- Remove from the oven and place peppers in a paper of plastic bag. Seal the bag closed and allow the peppers to rest (steam) for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove them to a plate and peel the charred skin off (it should slide easily off). Roughly chop the peppers and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage links and cook for several minutes, until browned on all sides.
- Remove to a plate and slice sausages into rings.
- Add garlic to the pan and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add roasted bell peppers, and chicken broth, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze any browned bits.
- Add chopped kale, and cook, tossing, for 1 minutes.
- Cover pan with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes until kale is tender and slightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile in a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in 1 1/2 cups of milk, and crushed chicken bullion cube and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for a few more minutes until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1/2 cup of milk and about 1/3 cup parmesan cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Add pasta to the skillet with sausage and peppers.
- Pour desired amount of sauce on top and toss to combine.
- Season with crushed red chili peppers, for those that like a little heat!
- Top with remaining fresh parmesan cheese. Serve warm.