Creamy Heirloom Tomato Soup
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and carrots and saute for about 10 minutes, until very tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, basil, chicken stock, salt, and pepper and stir well. Bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes are very tender.
- Add the cream to the soup and process it lightly using a vitamix or food processor, for a creamier consistency process it through a food mill into a bowl, discarding only the dry pulp that’s left.
- Reheat the soup over low heat just until hot and serve with Julienne basil leaves, a sprinkle or Parmigiano Reggiano and/or croutons.
- Cut the bread into 1/2″ cubes, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 350° or pan fry until crisp.