Classic Chile Rellenos
- To roast chilies:.
- Place chile peppers on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
- Broil 5 inches from the heat (with electric oven door partially open) 5 minutes on each side or until chile peppers are blistered.
- Place chile peppers in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal.
- Let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins.
- Peel peppers, leaving stems attached.
- Make a slit in the side of each chile, remove seeds, and stuff with cheese sticks.
- Dredge chiles with flour. Beat egg whites until they become stiff and peaks form. Beat yolks with water, 3 tablespoons flour and salt until thick and creamy. Fold the yolks into the whites and dip the chiles in the mixture.
- Fry in 2-3 inches of oil until they become golden brown.(I usually use about an inch and turn them over).
- Serve with your favorite salsa, refried beans and yellow rice for a great south of the border meal!