Cheddar-Scallion English Muffin Bread
- Lightly coat two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/4-in. loaf pans with nonstick spray. Dust each with 1 1/2 Tbsp cornmeal.
- Mix 3 cups flour, the scallions, yeast, salt, sugar, red pepper and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Heat milk and water until warm (105°F to 115°F). Stir into flour mixture, then stir in remaining 3 cups flour and 1 1/4 cups cheese.
- Divide dough evenly between pans (dough is very sticky). Lightly coat dough with nonstick spray then spray 2 sheets wax paper and invert over pans. Let rise in a warm draft-free place 45 minutes or until doubled.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Bake loaves 20 to 25 minutes until golden. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake 5 minutes longer. Cool in pans on a wire rack 5 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely. Wrap tightly. To give, attach a note saying, "Please toast." Store: Room temperature 3 days; freezer 2 months.
- Herb-Parmesan Variation: Omit scallions. Substitute 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper for the red pepper. Stir 1 Tbsp each minced fresh or 1 tsp each dried rosemary and thyme into dry mixture. Substitute 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese for the Cheddar, reserving 2 Tbsp to sprinkle on top. If using fresh rosemary, reserve a few small sprigs to insert decoratively in tops of loaves before baking.