Beet and Broccoli Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette
• 1 bunch red beets, tops removed and scrubbed
• Salt and pepper
• 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
• 1 small head of broccoli, florets removed and cut into bite sized pieces
• 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
(or white balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar)
• 1 tablespoon minced shallot
• 1 teaspoon brown mustard (or grainy mustard)
• 6 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 4 ounces feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place beets in a baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer. Add enough water to cover the beets three quarters of the way up their sides.
- Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with olive oil. Cover with foil and bake until tender, 1 hour. Transfer beets to a cutting board and allow to cool. Remove skins, cut into 1-inch wedges. Arrange beets on a serving platter.
- Place the broccoli in a steaming basket over boiling water, cover, and steam for 3 minutes. Remove the lid for a moment, then cook, partially covered, until the stems are tender-firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to the serving platter with the beets.
- Combine vinegar and minced shallots in a small bowl and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes. Stir in mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper then whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil. Pour dressing over the beets and broccoli and crumble the feta cheese over the top.