Balsamic Chicken, Roasted Beet, and Bacon Kale Salad
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Place beets on a parchment lined baking sheet and toss with olive oil and a few pinches of salt. Make sure they're fully coated and arranged in one layer.
- Roast for about 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the chicken to a medium bowl. In a small bowl, stir together juice of half a lemon, garlic, grainy mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour this mixture over the chicken and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate.
- Make the dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add chopped kale to a large bowl. Add about two tablespoons of the dressing and massage it into the kale for a minute or so to flavor it, soften it, and make it easier to eat. Set aside.
- Fry the bacon until crispy in a medium skillet over medium heat. Drain on paper towels and chop into bits once cooled. Pour out most of the bacon grease except for about 2 tablespoons. You will use this to cook the chicken!
- Place bacon grease skillet back on the heat,and raise to medium high. Cook chicken for about 4-5 minutes per side until golden. Add balsamic vinegar and thyme, reduce to medium, and cook for a few minutes until balsamic has reduced in volume and becomes syrupy. I like to spoon some of the balsamic mixture over the chicken while it's reducing for flavor.
- To assemble salads, top kale with roasted beets, sliced chicken, chopped bacon, and extra dressing!